Sunday, March 22, 2009

Darn You, Rocket!

I can deal with Leo, June, Quincy, and Annie. My boys love them, and when it comes to choosing videos, I am supportive of their Little Einsteins' choice.  It has exposed them to some great artists and composers, and the boys make the connection between what they see and hear while watching this cartoon, and seeing prints of Keith Haring or Van Gogh out and about in the world and recognizing the classical music masterpieces the Little Einsteins lift phrases from and add their own lyrics.  P is less enthused by this kid's show since the fellas think these are actually the lyrics that 'belong' with Beethoven's Fifth or the Carmen Suite, etc.

Really-- for the most part, I guess you could call me a fan of the show.  That was until this morning.  I took the bakfiets on an ambitious mission, riding all three boys to a playground in the next town over.  I actually didn't realize how ambitious it was until I was halfway there.  In the past, we had always driven there by car, and I never realized just how many long, gradual uphills there were on the way.   Even in first gear, I was pumping as hard as I could, my thighs screaming at me.   I was breathing heavily, starting to pant, when a three-year-old voice called out from the front box, "We need more power!

And because I was sweating and panting and wondering just why the heck we didn't just go to the local playground and how I was actually going to get us to our destination, I didn't appreciate F's mimicking of Leo's catch phrase from the show.  We did need more power. But it was just me, our bakfiets, and my nearly-40-year-old-out-of-shape legs.  

We did eventually make it to the playground and I gotta say-- the return trip home was sweet, cruising down all those long, gradual downhills, wind in our faces.


3 comments:

MamaVee said...

I think I know the playground you speak of. Color me impressed. It's a playground worth the ride though. I'm glad it was downhill onthe way back. My area has hills both ways often times and once you're halfway somewhere- there ain't no relief or turning back...

Jennifer said...

At least he didn't say, "Super fast, hyper blast" which is what he said to me when I was pushing him on the swings last year and was not getting enough velocity for his taste!

Anonymous said...

did they start patting their laps?