Monday, July 28, 2008

For the Love of Words

As a now former English teacher, but still compulsive reader, I admit that I love words. I am not snobbish about this, however. I don't exclusively love large, impressive words that make it onto diligent/ uptight 10th graders' SAT study lists. I love all sorts of words and believe in the power of words-- for both good and evil.

Truly, though, who doesn't laugh at words like shenanigans or hullabaloo? Who doesn't cringe when hearing the sound/s certain words make? Moist is the number one cringe-worthy word in my book. Who doesn't think a phrase like "Don't muck about" sounds so perfect in the right situation or absolutely love this one, "The boys are finally in bed-- asleep!"?

Is it any wonder, then, that my boys are starting to talk about their own word observations and preferences. First, they are quick to take note of and share aloud any misspellings used for cutesy purposes they come across. They have heard many times how I hate, absolutely hate signs/companies named things like Kalico Kids or Kathy's Kones. It's still alliteration, people, when you spell these words correctly. "Look, mom," the guys will remark, "It's one of those jokes you hate" as they go on to describe the intentional misspellings.

Recently, F has discovered a new favorite word- caboose. He picked up a new book about trains last week and insists we read it over and over and over. Each time we get to the page with the word caboose, he laughs and laughs like it was the first time he ever heard such a funny word. He laughs more than a group of second graders confronting the word underwear in class. He repeats it, again and again, finding new amusement, each time the word rolls off his tongue.

C, too, is letting his word sounds' likes and dislikes be known:
"I do not like the sounds -elly and -ummy so please don't call it my belly or tummy. I really like the sound -omach much better so please just call it my stomach from now on!"

The funny thing about that is that he seems to have no problem with the sound -elly when connected to jelly, as in jelly bread, a food combination he finds particularly yummy, and would prefer to eat for every meal, every day if we would let him.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

What I really hate is "lite"...is that really all that much easier to read/spell than "light"? K'mon! My kids go to daycare at "Kiddy Korner" and I'm not entirely sure if any of them is aware it's a place for kids and not cats (which is a problem that goes beyond general misspelling).